It was 9:21 pm on a Tuesday night. I was sitting at the kitchen table creating my presentation for class the next morning. Hours had slipped away and I was obsessing over the rumors that this one professor was a strict, fire-breathing, tyrant who gave B's to really REALLY great work. At 10:39 I remembered that not only did I have to finish my powerpoint but I also had to write a separate report! I began to lose it.
Emily listened to my mindless ramblings and she took pity on me. She knew exactly how to help me in my time of need.
She made this special cinnamon coffee cake.
I had five pieces between 11 pm and 3 am. It was moist, crumbly, and completely wonderful. It fueled my creativity and helped me persevere. It turned everything around when I was moments away from a senior breakdown.
She got the roommate-of-the-year award.
I received an A on my presentation.
You will Need:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine flour, 3/4 cup sugr, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl (if you use a large fork it kinda sifts it for you and makes the texture a little fluffier).
- Use a pastry cutter or two knives (or previously mentioned very useful large fork) to cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Put half a cup of the mixture into a small bowl and add 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon, and set aside.
- Stir egg and milk into remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, smooth the surface, and drizzle with melted butter.
Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake until a toothpick interred in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
[Alternative, very fun and yummy idea: Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle with some of the crumb mixture, then pour in the rest of the batter and top with the remaining crumb mixture. I'd definitely suggest reserving more of the crumb mixture from the batter if you're going to take this route.]
No comments:
Post a Comment