Saturday, February 4, 2012

nutella mug cake



Did I mention earlier that I'm a student?  Did I also mention that I grew up in California? Those two combined facts are the reason I've neglected to post. I am five weeks into a truly terrible winter quarter.  
  

While I'm thrilled to be almost done, I'm also becoming concerned. It seems as if my professors met secretly and discussed my allergies.  They found what ails me most and agreed they would attack my weakness, an honest attempt to make me a stronger individual.  You see, I'm allergic to two things: winter & tests.  I was self-diagnosed in high school.  There were concerns that I would not be able to thrive outside California, but I came and conquered.  Unfortunately, it now seems that come March I may be sharing a recipe for humble pie.  That is, if I make it to March.  All my professors are giving weekly tests.  I'm a senior and I'm majoring in English. You want in-class essays? Sure thing.  You want a ten page paper? No problem.  You want me to take an online exam for contemporary mathematics with computing? Wait...what?  Between math tests and the weight of winter, my allergies are flaring up and there is only one cure: baking.


For this new year, my resolution was to share more cooking recipes.  (My roommate thinks I'm capable of more than baking, bless her heart.) Hopefully I will post a few in the future, but tonight I baked something that I believe will get me through this week of exams. 


Nutella mug cake.  It has brought a little sweetness back into the study cave and kept the bitterness at bay. It is an instant chocolate remedy for academic woes.




WARNING: Strawberries and whipped cream make it irresistible.


You Will Need:
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp cocoa
  • 3 tbsp nutella
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • Pinch salt
What to Do:

  1. In a mug (I used an anthropologie latte bowl), break the egg and whisk a little with a fork. 
  2. Add milk, oil and mix together.
  3. Mix in the Nutella. Make sure it’s mixed well.
  4. Add in sugar, cocoa, salt.
  5. Fold in the flour with fork. Do not over mix or the consistency will be rubbery.
  6. Microwave for 2 minutes on high. (You will have to figure out how long you want to microwave. The original recipe said 2 minutes & 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Mine was ready at 2.)
  7. Let cool before adding the cream and strawberries.



Ps. There is more than enough to share with a fellow struggling roommate.


[Adapted from foodgawker]


No comments:

Post a Comment